9.1.3 If a member speaks to the Scheme Administrator and raises a concern, but doesn’t yet wish to make a formal complaint, then the Scheme Administrator will aim to resolve it before it becomes a complaint. This may involve explaining to the member the reason for delays, or outlining the different actions being taken by the Scheme Administrator and employer.

If a member makes it clear they are making a complaint, or they are not happy with any initial explanation from the Scheme Administrator, then the Scheme Administrator will start the complaints procedure. If an employer refers a complaint from a member to the Scheme Administrator, then this will also start the complaints procedure. This may involve the Scheme Administrator contacting the employer to query data they hold or to get further information. It is therefore important for the employer to respond to the Scheme Administrator within agreed timescales. The Scheme Administrator will then issue a response to the member to explain how their concerns have been resolved.

If the member does not feel their concerns have been resolved by the Scheme Administrator’s complaint response, then they may wish to use the IDR process.

A flow chart of the complaint and IDR process can be found at Annex A.

A member has the right to refer their complaint free of charge at any stage to The Pensions Ombudsman Early Resolution Service. They can help a member raise their concerns and help deal with complaints and disputes which concern the administration and/or management of occupational and personal pension schemes.

Contact with The Pensions Ombudsman Early Resolution Service about a complaint needs to be made within three years of when the event(s) the member is complaining about happened – or, if later, within three years of when the member became aware of the event. There is discretion for those time limits to be extended.

5 January 2022
Last updated:
5 January 2022