9.1.7 The person complaining must be someone who has an interest, or believes they have an interest, in the scheme. For example, that could be someone who is:

  • an active, deferred or pensioner member;
  • a pension credit member following a pension sharing order;
  • a widow, widower, civil or nominated partner, or
  • a dependant of a member who has died or someone claiming to be a death benefit beneficiary.

The person complaining may ask a representative to handle their complaint on their behalf. The member must nominate their representative in writing and the representative must consent to this in writing.

5 January 2022
Last updated:
5 January 2022