Civil Service Additional Voluntary Contribution Scheme (CSAVCS)

Please read this important update as a result of the COVID-19.

If you are an active member of classic, classic plus, premium, nuvos, or alpha, you can boost your retirement income by making additional voluntary contributions (AVCs) to the Civil Service Additional Voluntary Contribution Scheme (CSAVCS).

You can invest your AVCs in a fund with a provider. The value of your CSAVCS pension will depend on how much money you invest in your fund and how well it performs. 

When you come to retire, you can use your fund to buy an annuity and take up to 25% of it as a tax-free lump sum. If your plan is with Legal & General (opens in a new window), other options are available to you.

How do I pay for my AVCs?

Your employer can deduct your AVCs straight from your pay. You will need to apply to make AVCs at least one month before they are due.

Can I change my AVCs?

You can increase, decrease or suspend your contributions at any time. To do so, simply complete a Contribution Change Request form and return it to your employer.

Where can I invest my contributions?

On 01 September 2018, Civil Service Pensions appointed Legal & General as the CSAVCS provider. 

Legal & General will invest your AVCs in their Multi-Asset fund. However, you can choose to invest your contributions in one their other available funds.

Details of Legal & General’s full investment range (opens in a new window)

Whichever fund you invest in, Legal & General will send you a yearly statement of the value of your fund and the contributions you have paid.

As the value of your fund can go down as well as up you should review your investment regularly.

Where can I find out more information about the CSAVCS?

You may also wish to speak to an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) about your pension plans too. See the Financial Conduct Authority website for tips on finding an adviser.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) (opens in a new window) can also provide you with information and guidance, so you can make informed decisions about your pension and retirement planning.  

How do I start an AVC plan?

If you have decided that making AVCs to the CSAVCS is right for you, it is easy to start a plan. All you need to do is complete an Additional Voluntary Contribution application form and send it to your employer who will arrange for your plan to be set up with Legal & General.

If you were contributing to the Civil Service Additional Voluntary Contribution Scheme before 01 June 2018

Before 01 June 2018, Civil Service Pensions members could choose to invest their AVCs with one of the following providers:

  • Equitable Life
  • Scottish Widows
  • Standard Life

From 01 September 2018, all AVCs made to the CSAVCS were redirected to Legal & General, with the exception of members who had a ‘with profit plan’ with Equitable Life.

If you began making AVCs to the CSAVCS before 01 June 2018, you’ll need to contact your AVC plan provider directly about your plan. If you hold a policy with Equitable Life, please contact the  Scheme Administrator (MyCSP).