This website uses cookies:
We use cookies to personalise your user experience and to study how our website is being used.
You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.

View our cookie policy

The State Pension and your Civil Service Pension

While you are an active member of the Principal Civil Service Pension Scheme or alpha, you are contracted out of the State Second Pension.

The pension you get from your workplace (or personal) pension scheme for the periods you were contracted out should include an amount that, in most cases, will be at least the equivalent of the additional State Pension you would have got if you had not been contracted out. It could be even higher.

DWP now include the current estimated value of this amount - called your Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE) - on page 1 of your statement.

If you are a member of two or more contracted out schemes, the Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE) amount shown is based on all of your schemes.

DWP has issued a booklet called ‘Your State Pension statement explained’ where you can find more information. Please refer to Section 2 pages 10 – 15 of this guide.