- Those who are responsible for Scheme Medical Adviser (SMA) referrals and case-handling
- Departmental Occupational Health service providers (OHP)
- Employers to provide Cabinet Office, by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), the name and contact details of individuals within their organisation who will benefit from taking part in SMA training events.
- If you are not responsible for SMA referrals/case-handling or part of your OH provider, please consider who is best placed to receive this information and forward on.
Immediate – responses to be provided by 3 March 2017
1. In EPN 487 we announced that we have appointed a new Scheme Medical Adviser (SMA), Health Management Limited (HML). HML will be taking over the provision of SMA services with effect from 1 July 2017. We also mentioned in EPN 487 that processes would be required to change, namely the way in which users submit cases and receive advice from the SMA. This is a result of moving from the current largely paper-based process between users and the SMA, to a Digital Platform accessed through a portal link.
2. We are currently working with HML to develop training events and materials for those who will be using HML’s SMA services. It is vital that the correct people within your organisation attend this training. The individuals should be those:
- Who have direct links with the SMA
- Who regularly or otherwise refer cases for advice, and;
- Who receive that advice and take action on it.
If you are not such a person please ensure this EPN is passed to them.
3. There is a limited window between mid April and early May within which HML is able to provide the training ahead of the contract beginning on 1 July. It is therefore important that your organisation is able to confidently use the new functionality and takes part in the user training on offer.
4. HML will be hosting a series of web-based seminars that your nominees will be able to access and a series of face-to-face training sessions in regionally based venues. We will be writing to you on an EPN in mid-March with dates and times for the various training sessions. You will then be able to confirm with HML your training preferences who will in turn provide you with confirmation and joining details.
5. Those who attend these training events will be provided with their individual system access code by HML. The access code is a requirement when setting up log-ins to the Portal.
6. In addition to the training HML will provide fully detailed user guidance that takes users through the various stages of the online application process – from registering and receiving an access code and login, to being able to track cases, raise certain MI and receive the SMA’s advice.
7. We believe you will find the Portal intuitive and easy to use, It will provide you with the necessary tools not only to refer cases but also to track them.
Actions for you to take now
8. You are required to provide us with the contact details, by 3 March of the individual(s) within your organisation who are best placed to receive this training, this could be, but not limited to:
- Those staff who are responsible for making the current referrals to the SMA for your organisation;
- HR staff who advise staff on the process for making an Ill-Health Retirement referral;
- Staff who can operate as a ‘train the trainer’ for your organisation;
- In-house occupational health advisers.
9. Please email email@example.com with the following details for those who should receive the training:
- Job Title
- Official email address
- Official telephone number
If you require any further assistance on the content of this EPN please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a question about the distribution of EPNs contact email@example.com.
This notice is for employers and should not be issued to scheme members.
If members have a question about their pension they can find information on this website or by contacting MyCSP.