Date posted: 01/12/2009
Audience: This Notice will be of particular interest to:
- HR staff who deal with pensions
Action: To note
- that Cabinet Office has written to HR Directors with a model letter for them to issue to staff
- the information in the enclosed letter to staff , in case of any queries
To make sure that the letter is issued to all members including staff in Agencies and Schedule 1 bodies.
- In the Pre-Budget Report yesterday, The Chancellor said: “… by 2012 contributions by the State to public service pensions for teachers, local government, NHS and the Civil Service will be capped – saving around £1bn a year. Public sector workers will make a greater contribution to the increasing value of pensions, with those earning over £100,000 paying more.”
- Some media have interpreted this as cuts to the Civil Service pension. That is not the case and Cabinet Office has today written to your HR Directors enclosing a model letter to issue to reassure staff and to warn senior staff that their contributions are likely to increase from April 2012. We enclose a copy for your information, in case you receive any queries from your members.
- Please make sure that your organisation has received and issued the letter to all members, including those in Agencies and Schedule 1 bodies.
Enquiries about content, distribution or to receive in a different format
Civil Service Pensions