Audience: This Notice will be of particular interest to:
- Staff responsible for referring cases to the Scheme Medical Adviser
- Staff responsible for paying the Scheme Medical Adviser
- HR managers
- Occupational Health advisers (where applicable)
Action: To note revisions to the application (order) forms for medical assessments and appeals:
- EPPA1 (issue date July 2012) – Early Payment of Preserved Pension;
- APP1 (issue date July 2012) – appeal against medical assessment decision;
- CSIBS1 (issue date July 2012) – injury benefit medical assessment;
- CSIBS2 (issue date July 2012) – appeal against injury benefit medical assessment decision
To note that the Medical Reviews and Appeals Guide has been updated (July 2012)
Timing: Revisions to order forms EPPA1, APP1, CSIBS1 and CSIBS2 can be implemented immediately but will come into full effect from 1 September 2012.
The updated Medical Reviews and Appeals Guide (issue date: July 2012) is available immediately and replaces the previous version issued.
The documents referred to in this EPN are available to view and download from Civil Service Website:
- The revised forms EPPA1, APP1, CSIBS1 and CSIBS2 (issue date July 2012) are available to view and download from Employer Forms Section on the Civil Service Pensions website.
- The updated Medical Reviews and Appeals Guide (issue date July 2012) ((REVIEWED SEPTEMBER 2017)), is available on the website.
A copy of the revised forms EPPA1, APP1, CSIBS1 and CSIBS2 and updated Medical Reviews and Appeals Guide are also attached with this EPN for ease of reference.
Revisions to forms IHR1 and IHR2
1. The forms EPPA1, APP1, CSIBS1 and CSIBS2 have been revised to reflect changes previous made to forms IHR1 and IHR2 with a view to;
- improving the medical assessment and appeals application process and reducing the number of applications that need to be returned because they are incomplete;
- making it clearer what medical and legal requirements need to be met and why;
- restructuring the forms so that they are easier for members and employers to use;
- explaining more clearly on the form what actions members and employers can take at the point when the member can receive a copy of the Scheme Medical Adviser’s assessment report and ensuring that advice reflects that which is given in the relevant procedural guides. This includes a clear explanation of the impact that withdrawing
consent for the Scheme Medical Adviser to send their report to the employer or MyCSP can have on the medical assessment or appeals process.
Updated Medical Reviews and Appeals Guide (issue date: July 2012)
2. The Medical Reviews and Appeals Guide has been updated and replaces the earlier version published. Some minor changes have been made to the text in places that do not impact on
the procedures. These include:
- moving the explanation of the meaning of particular terms by scheme to Annex A at the end of the guide.
- incorporating changes to the name and contact details for Capita Health & Wellbeing and changing APAC to MyCSP.
Actions to take
3. The guidance and forms issued with this EPN can be used immediately.
4. You must use the revised order forms EPPA1, APP1, CSIBS1 and CSIBS2 for referrals or appeals to the Scheme Medical Adviser from 1 September 2012. The Scheme Medical Adviser will only accept old forms received after 1 September 2012 that were already signed and dated by the applicant prior to 1 September, but will return any old forms signed and dated after 1 September and you will need to complete the new forms.
Enquiries regarding content please refer to your MyCSP Pension Service Centre, details of which can be found on our website under pensions helplines and complaints.
Enquiries regarding distribution or to receive in a different format Mycsp.firstname.lastname@example.org