Immediate for information - Changes will apply from 1 July 2017
1. Where access to benefits under the Civil Service pension and compensation arrangements is dependent upon medical advice the sole provider of this advice is the Civil Service Pension Scheme Medical Adviser (SMA). Cabinet Office, as managers of the Civil Service pension and compensation arrangements, appoints the SMA and sets up a framework agreement for providing services to employers participating in the Civil Service Pensions arrangements, including the pension scheme pension administrator, MyCSP Ltd.
2. Following a competitive tender exercise Health Management Limited (HML) has been appointed the Civil Service pension scheme SMA. A Scheme Medical Adviser with the new framework agreement will be taking effect from 1 July 2017.
3. Cabinet Office with HML and Health Assured Ltd (HA) are working together to enable a smooth transition of among other things the live caseload from one supplier to the other. Further EPN’s will be issued describing among other things the important ‘handover’ procedure so that the SMA’s service continues to run smoothly for cases that are mid-stream, and new processes and guidance relating to the services moving from being largely paper-based to an on-line digital platform.
4. Until informed otherwise by Cabinet Office, or by HA with Cabinet Office agreement, you should continue using HA’s services for pension scheme medical advice as normal.
5. As well as the service moving to an online digital platform we are pleased to be able to confirm that the costs for services included on the SMA’s tariff will be reduced with effect from 1 July 2017. The final costs will be a matter of some further discussion between Cabinet Office and HML, as will be the provision of good relevant management information and any changes to current Service Levels – especially as a result of digitalisation.
6. We will collectively need to engage with you as service users and we plan on doing so through a series of events and training sessions. We will be letting you have details of these in due course after consultation with HML but they are likely to be taking place during April and May on a regional basis.
7. Finally, where necessary we intend consulting an existing SMA User Group which consists of a range of Civil Service employer representatives to corroborate and test our broad Implementation Plan, for example commenting from a user perspective on emerging case handling guidance and plans for the handover between suppliers.
If you require any further assistance on the content of this EPN please contact email@example.com
If you have a question about the distribution of EPNs contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This notice is for employers and should not be issued to scheme members.
If members have a question about their pension they can find information on this website or by contacting MyCSP.