Date posted: 01/08/2005
This Notice will be of particular interest to:
- HR Managers with responsibility for communicating information to staff Action
- Action: To issue the enclosed office notice as soon as possible
- Pensions reform Consultation Update. On December 2004 we published proposals to change the existing Civil Service pension arrangements, under cover of EPN114. The public consultation closed on 4 March 2005.
- In April we sent HR Directors (reference below) a model Office Notice to update staff. This set out the consultation position following the Pensions Summit on 31 March chaired by Alan Johnson and attended by Ministers for public service pension schemes and public service trade unions.
- Following the General Election, discussions are continuing between Alan Johnson and the Public Services Forum to agree common principles on reform for all public sector pension schemes. The Public Services Forum brings together Government, public service employers and trade unions to improve communication on public service and workforce reform.
- These discussions will cover issues affecting all the public service pension schemes and in particular, the proposed move to pension age 65. The Public Consultation Update EPN127 Services Forum discussions are expected to continue until late September and we will then enter into scheme-specific negotiations with the Council of Civil Service Unions. CSPD will inform employers and members of the way forward when the negotiations are completed. We have been asking HR Directors and employer Pensions Communication Network representatives how we can support you in communicating the outcome of the discussions.
- Our aim is to ensure that employers and members are kept fully informed.
- We have agreed a joint statement on progress with the Council of Civil Service Unions. This is attached at Annex A. Please issue the joint statement as an office notice to your staff as soon as possible. We recommend that you cross-refer this notice to the earlier notice issued in April.
Enquiries about content, distribution or to receive in a different format
Employer Helpdesk, Civil Service Pensions, Grosvenor House, Basing View Basingstoke, RG21 4HG You can find copies of all current EPNs and forms on our website.