- Civil Service and New Fair Deal employers – particularly individuals responsible for making referrals to the Scheme Medical Adviser (SMA)
- Departmental IT security units (ITSUs)
- Pensions Leads and HR Managers
- Departmental Occupational Health Providers (DOHPs)
- To note that all SMA referrals must now be sent to Health Management Ltd (HML);
- To note the contact details for HML;
- Familiarise yourselves and begin using, with effect from 27 June 2017, the updated Part 6 of the Employer Pension Guide;
- To note the date for further training on HML portal and processing;
- To note the process for issuing the HML portal verification code;
- To note the tariff structure for SMA referrals to HML.
1. In EPN487 (25 January 2017), we announced that the Scheme Medical Adviser (SMA) is changing from Health Assured (HA) to Health Management Limited (HML) with effect from 1 July 2017.
We are now entering the final stages of the transition of SMA services between these providers.
This EPN contains important actions and information for employers leading up to the transition.
Deadline for making referrals to the current SMA (HA)
With immediate effect:
- If you have a new case to submit, please send it to HML for receipt on or after 3 July 2017.
No further cases should be submitted to HA as the deadline for submissions has now passed.
If you need to contact HA in relation to an existing referral cas, please email:
0345 601 1994
Contact details for Health Management Ltd
HML postal address for applications:
HML dedicated email inbox for employers:
(Please note that this email address is for employer use only. Your employee will be provided with contact details following receipt of their application.)
Administration Team Leader:
Customer Service Manager:
2. Transition arrangements
HA will continue to work on current referral cases held, up to and including, Wednesday 28 June 2017. The cases will then be reviewed and packaged for transfer to HML.
Cabinet Office has agreed with HML the procedures for the safe and secure transfer of paper records. These will be used for the live referral cases held with HA on the transition date.
Employers will be provided with a list of the live referral cases that have been transferred to HML, by close of business on 4 July 2017.
3. Amending the current SMA Guidance (section 6 of the Employers’ Pension Guide)
The SMA guidance (Part 6 of the Employers’ Pension Guide) has been updated to reflect changes to the SMA contact details and introduction of the online portal. The guide can be found using this link:
4. HML corporate details to enable you to set up Purchase Orders for requested services
In EPN498 (20 June 2017), we confirmed we would provide the HML corporate details to enable you to set up Purchase Orders for requested services.
The details are shown in the attached document titled ‘HSBC Bank Details.’
There will be no change to existing location codes as part of the transition from HA to HML and current location codes remain valid.
5. Further User Training on HML portal and processes
In EPN498 (20 June 2017), we confirmed that we were seeking to arrange a further training session with HML to take place before go-live. This would primarily include those who may not currently be able to access Web-based seminars.
A transition Q & A session has been organised for Thursday 29 June from 13:00pm to 14:00pm. Should you wish to participate please dial-in using these details:
Number: 0800 368 5744
Participant ID: 7531857#
For ad-hoc queries with regard to the user portal and the transition to HML please contact Constance Kane-Dorling on 0845 504 280 or 07793 241437.
6. HML Portal Verification code
The verification code for the HML portal will be issued to the employers by email using the EPN distribution list.
If you have not received the verification code by close of business on Tuesday 27 June please email:
7. Tariff structure from 1 July 2017
Employers are asked to note the tariff structure applicable for referrals to the SMA from 1 July 2017. Details are attached to this EPN.
8. Other Issues subject to a further EPN
- Amending the current referral forms so that consent can be given for referrals to be seen by Departmental Occupational Health Providers when they are made electronically (or part-electronically) through the HML Online Portal.
- Approach to the transfer of data for closed referral cases from HA to HML following the transition.
- Approach to face-to-face appointments booked by HA for clinics in July.
If you require further assistance on the content of this EPN please contact SMAProject@cabinetoffice.gov.uk
If you have a question about the distribution of EPNs contact email@example.com
This notice is for employers and should not be issued to scheme members.
If members have a question about their pension they can find information on this Website or by contacting MyCSP.