Date posted: 01/07/2008
Audience: This Notice will be of particular interest to:
- HR managers and
- All staff who have responsibility for recruitment and ordering member Starter Packs Action HR managers and staff are asked to:
- read and note the contents of this EPN
- note that there is essential guidance on our website for anyone who needs to order a Starter Pack for a member who started work before 30 July 2007.
- The web guidance also tells you what to do in case of a TUPE transfer, or if a member wishes to switch between pension schemes or opt in or out of the CSP arrangements.
This EPN reminds you of the correct procedures for ordering Starter Packs for all new entrants and rejoiners, especially those who joined the CSP arrangements before 30 July 2007. The web guidance also tells you how to handle new entrants in case of a TUPE transfer, and what to do if someone wants to opt in or switch.
- EPN162 provided guidance on the correct procedures for ordering Starter Packs for new entrants joining the CSP arrangements before 1 July 2007.
- EPN176 told you of the change of the introduction date for nuvos to 30 July 2007. • EPN172 (Rev) provided guidance on the recruitment actions for all new entrants to the CSP arrangements who joined after 30 July 2007.
- We have recently updated and re-issued Section 4 of the Employers Pension Guide (EPG) which sets out your responsibilities when staff join, the recruitment and eligibility procedures and correct process for ordering Starter Packs. The revised section is on our website under Guidance for Employers and includes the information from EPN172 (Rev).
1. Staff who joined after 30 July 2007
As you are aware new entrants to the CSP arrangements who joined after 30 July 2007 only have the choice of either joining nuvos or opening a partnership pension account. However there are exceptional arrangements for some rejoiners.
You must in all circumstances use the Pensions Questionnaire and Calculator to determine eligibility, so that you can order the correct Starter Pack using the Despatch Request spreadsheet or form (DRF2). The Questionnaire, Calculator and DRF2 can all be found on our website under Guidance for Employers / Forms / New entrants. You should refer to Section 4 of the EPG for detailed guidance on ordering Starter Packs.
Please note that CSPD has produced pensions slides that you can use for induction presentations to new entrants. (EPN188 refers) The slides are under Guidance for employers / Training.
2. Staff who joined before 30th July 2007
Under the Disclosure of Information Regulations all scheme members must be provided with pension scheme information within 2 months of becoming eligible to join. Anyone who joined the CSP arrangements before 30 July 2007 should therefore have already received their Starter Pack.
If you need to order a Starter Pack for someone who joined before 30 July 2007 then you are already in breach of these Regulations and need to take urgent action to put things right.
St Ives (our current print and distribution supplier) have been instructed not to issue Full or partnership packs directly to employers. If, for any reason, you need to order a Starter Pack for someone who started work before 30 July 2007 you must follow the new procedures which can be found on our website under Guidance for Employers / forms / new entrants.
3. Employer Responsibilities – things to remember
- It is a statutory requirement that new entrants and rejoiners receive pension scheme information within two months of their start date.
- When you issue the Letter of Appointment (or earlier communication, as appropriate) you must, at the same time, order a starter pack from St Ives. Ordering Starter Packs for new entrants and rejoiners to the Civil Service pension arrangements EPN220
- You must use the Pensions Questionnaire and calculator to determine eligibility
- You must not change the format of the Despatch Request (DRF2) as this will be rejected by St Ives and may delay the member in receiving important pension information.
- You should not include the member’s National Insurance Number or date of birth in the order forms.
- It is your responsibility to follow up the delivery of the pack with the member. The pack should be despatched by St Ives within 48 hours of receiving the request form.
- You should only use St Ives to order Starter Packs via the email address provided, you must not ask members to order the Starter Pack themselves.
- You must not advise members to contact St Ives, but should direct them to your APAC’s help line should they have a query about their pension arrangements.
This document refers to EPNs 162, 166, 172, 176 and 188
Enquiries about content, distribution or to receive in a different format
Civil Service Pensions