Annual Benefit Statements (ABS)
Your Annual Benefit Statement (ABS) is issued once each year. It shows your pension benefits, up to the 31 March.
Unless you’ve requested to receive a paper copy, your 2021 ABS will only be available to view in the Pension Portal.
We send out over 500,000 ABS to members each year, starting in June and finishing by the end of August.
You can use the distribution schedule to find out when yours will either be available to view in the Pension Portal, or when you can expect to receive it in the post (if you’ve requested to receive a paper copy).
If the distribution schedule indicates that your ABS should be available by now and you haven’t received it, it may have been necessary to complete some additional checks to ensure your statement is accurate. If you’re an eligible member, your ABS will be available no later than 31 August 2021.
Information on this page
- How to view your ABS through the Pension Portal
- How to opt out of receiving your ABS through the Pension Portal
- Find out when you can access your ABS
- What’s included in your ABS
- Other useful information about your ABS
If you already have a Pension Portal account
- Visit the Pension Portal and click the ‘Login’ button to the top right of the page
- Enter your username and password to log in
- You’ll see a link to your ABS once you are logged in
- If your latest ABS is available, you’ll be able to view it. If it’s not there yet, check the distribution schedule to find out when your statement will be ready. All ABS will be uploaded to the Pension Portal by the 31 August.
If you don’t yet have a Pension Portal account
Visit this guide to registering for the Pension Portal to get set up.
Until 2021, we produced over half a million statements each year, using seven million pieces of paper. By going paperless, we can save over 100 tonnes of CO2 as well as giving you quicker, easier and more secure access to your ABS.
If you’d rather, you can request to receive a paper copy of your ABS.
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Your member number (shown in the top right-hand corner of your previous year’s ABS covering letter)
To help give you an idea of when you can expect your statement to be ready we’ve published a distribution schedule. This will give you an estimate of when your statement will be ready.
Your ABS is an estimate of your benefits earned up to 31 March this year. We base this on information provided to us by your employer.
When you come to claim your pension we will provide you with a quotation of your benefits up until your last day of service, so please don’t enter into any financial commitments based on the figures in your ABS.
Your ABS will tell you:
- What you’ve built up in your pension up to 31 March this year
- The earnings we use to calculate your benefits
- Your scheme member number
- Your pension and tax including percentage of Lifetime Allowance used
- Who you’ve added as Death Benefit Nominees
- Any additional service or benefits you may have added.
Here’s a short video to help you understand: