Death Benefit Nomination
The Civil Service pension arrangements don’t only provide pension benefits. In certain circumstances they also provide benefits after your death to the people you care about.
This could be a family member, a friend or a charity. If you are a member of classic-plus, premium, nuvos or alpha, you can choose multiple nominees. For more information, read our Quick Start Guide called ‘Peace of mind’.
Temporary changes to forms and supporting documents due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we’ve temporarily changed the process for sending forms and supporting documents to ensure that we’ll be able to process important member requests.
As a result, from 20 April we no longer require your signature or a witnesses’ signature to update your death benefit nomination and you have the option to:
- complete your death benefit nomination on-line and return it to us by email; and
- email us a scanned copy or photograph of your ID (for example a passport, driver’s licence, or utility bill).
- You MUST provide consent in your email for us to process your death benefit nomination.
- You MUST provide a scanned copy or photograph of two forms of ID plus proof of your address. A full list of acceptable documents can be found here.
- Utility bills must be less than three months old and must not be a mobile phone bill.
- If you’re employed in the Civil Service and use your gov.uk email address to send us the information above, you don’t need to provide a form of ID.
- Please ensure that scanned copies or photographs of forms and documents are clear and can be easily read.
- Please email your death benefit nomination form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see below some useful information regarding death benefit nominations:
- If you die while still in service (but not if you have partially retired or you’re already in receipt of a pension from the scheme), the lump sum payable is at least two years’ pay.
- If you die after leaving, retiring, partially retiring, or taking other Civil Service pension benefits, the lump sum is worked out differently to the description above. You can find more information in the scheme guides about the benefits that may be payable.
- Members of classic can only nominate one person.
- Members of schemes other than classic can choose as many nominees as they want and choose how to split the lump sum between them.
- You can check your existing Death Benefit Nominee(s) on the Pension Portal and your Annual Benefit Statement (ABS).
Claiming death benefits
Information about what to do in the event of a member’s death, and how to claim death benefits can be found on the How to apply for death benefits page.