Pension Savings Statement (PSS)
Annual Allowance is the maximum value of the growth in your pension savings each year that can benefit from tax relief.
Annual Allowance applies to your entire pension savings with UK registered pension schemes. Any contributions you and your employer have paid into any Defined Contribution pension arrangements (for example Civil Service AVC Schemes, the partnership pension account, a stakeholder pension or a personal pension outside the Civil Service pension arrangements) aren’t included on your Civil Service Pension Savings Statement.
We’ll send Pension Savings Statement(s) (PSS) to you if you meet one or more of the following criteria as at 5 April 2021:
1. You’ve exceeded the Annual Allowance limit of £40,000* in 2020/21.
2. You earn over £100,000.
3. You’ve requested one.
* Please note – high-income individuals may be subject to a tapered Annual Allowance.
Further information and guidance on how to calculate tapered annual allowance can be found on HMRC’s website - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pension-schemes-work-out-your-tapered-annual-allowance
In your statement envelope, you can expect to receive:
1. A covering letter.
2. A single PSS or, if you have benefits in alpha and one of the sections of the Principal Civil Service Pension Scheme (PCSPS), two PSS.
We’ll be starting to send out PSS from July 2021 and plan to distribute as close to 100% of the statements as possible by 31 August 2021 – ahead of the regulatory deadline of 6 October 2021. This is so that employers and members have the maximum time available to plan and organise any necessary activities related to PSS.
You’ll need to:
- calculate whether there’s a tax charge for you to pay by visiting HMRC at: https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-private-pension/annual-allowance ; and
- decide whether you wish to use Scheme Pays.
We know that it’s handy for you to have information gathered together in one easy-to-access place. So, whether you want to find out:
- when your PSS will be arriving; or
- have a query once it’s arrived,
you’re just one click away from help.
Simply choose which box to click on from the selection below.