Pensioners FAQs

What is Pensions Increase?

Pensions Increase is the annual increase which may be applied to your Civil Service pension. It is applied at the same percentage as the annual increase to the Additional State Pension.

Who is entitled to Pensions Increase?

It is usually paid to anyone aged 55 or over and anyone under 55 when they have qualified for:

  • an ill-health retirement pension
  • a widow’s pension
  • a widower’s pension
  • a civil partner’s pension
  • a partner’s pension, or
  • a child’s pension

Please note: You may qualify for pensions increase before the age of 55 if you have dependent children.

When is Pensions Increase applied?

Pensions Increase is applied from the first Monday after 6 April.

What is this year's increase?

This year's increase is 1.7%.

Why have I not received the full 1.7% increase in my occupational Civil Service pension?

If you reached State Pension Age before 6 April 2016 and were working in the Civil Service prior to 6 April 1997, part of your Pension Increase is paid within your State Pension. Therefore, if you did not receive the full 1.7% in your occupational pension, you will have received an increase in your State Pension to compensate.

On my P60, why is the annual pension figure not the same as the actual pension I get paid?

Your P60 shows the total of all payments you have received during the tax year. This may be different to your annual pension figure because it may take into account a number of factors such as a change in the annual rate paid to you, or an increase in pension during the year.

If my pension has been increased, why have I not received a full month at the new annual rate?

Pension payments are made in arrears. Therefore, if you receive your pension at the end of the month, for example on 30 April, your payment will reflect the new increased rate from 6 - 30 April and the pre-increase lower rate for 1 - 5 April.

If I have not received my P60 yet when will I receive it?

In previous years, you may have received your P60 at the same time as your payslip. However, following feedback from some members, we now send these documents as soon as they are produced, which means you may receive them separately. However, you should receive both documents by the end of May. 

The increase to my pension takes me over the limit that allows me to claim benefits. Can I return the increase?

Members are unable to return Pensions Increases as they are entitled to them under statutory legislation. If you are entitled to the Pensions Increase, this amount will be taken into account when any benefits are calculated. As such, returning the increase would not serve any purpose.

Where can I find out what my spouse will receive in the event of my death?

Prior to your retirement, you would have received a set of paperwork which documented your pension in detail; including the amount of pension which would be payable to your spouse in the event of your death. Please refer to this documentation for those details.

I have read that some pension schemes are selling my data. Does this affect my Civil Service pension?

The Scheme Administrator (MyCSP) treats the information it holds on members’ pension schemes with the utmost confidentiality and never sells information to a third party.

When will I receive my Pensioner Newsletter?

Newsletters for Civil Service pensioners are issued every year. This is usually between April and May each year.

All of our Pensioner Newsletters are available on our Pensioner Newsletters page.

How is my pension paid?

Civil Service pensions are usually paid monthly in arrears, directly into your nominated bank account, and are taxable as income.

Can I have my pension/lump sum paid into an overseas bank account?

Yes; payments can be made into most overseas bank accounts. You'll need to complete the relevant Overseas Payment Mandate form. Forms for all countries can be found on our Overseas Payment Mandate website page.

Can I change the date my monthly payment is made?

In exceptional circumstances you can request a change in the date your monthly payments are made. To request a change in the date you should contact Civil Service Pensions.          

How often should I receive pension payslips?

You will only receive a payslip whenever there is a change in the gross annual rate of your pension, or a difference in your net pay of more than £1.

When will I get my P60?

You will get a P60 after the end of each tax year. This will show the amount of pension paid and tax deducted during the year.  You should keep this in a safe place in case you need it in the future. A replacement P60 cannot be issued, but you can request the figures shown on your P60. Please contact Civil Service Pensions, who will arrange for the figures to be sent to you.

How do I change my death benefit nominee?

How can a relative take over management of a pensioner’s affairs if they become incapable?

We need a Power of Attorney in order to accept any forms which have been signed on the member’s behalf. A Power of Attorney can be set up by the member when they are in good mental health.

You may wish to contact a solicitor for help in setting up Power of Attorney.

How do I obtain an estimate of the value of my pension for my divorce proceedings?

How much lump sum will my death benefit nominee(s) receive in the event of my death?

I am getting a dependant's pension - How can I find out more about how my pension has been worked out?

How do I update my personal details?

You should complete the relevant pages of the Change of details form – pensioners which can be found on our Member Forms website page.

How can I find more information about the pension scheme?

What's abatement?

If you partially retire, or fully retire using your classic, classic plus, premium or nuvos benefits, your pension may be abated whilst you continue to work, or if you re-join Civil Service employment at a later date. This is because your pension and new salary added together cannot be more than your salary before you partially retired.