Disagreements and complaints procedures

If you have any concerns you should raise them with the Scheme Administrator (MyCSP). Often, a phone call or an email will be enough. If you are dissatisfied with the way your concerns have been handled you may decide to complain to the Scheme Administrator (MyCSP). Find out more about disagreements and complaints.

If the problem is not sorted out to your satisfaction, you can raise your concerns under the Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) procedure. This is a statutory process that all occupational pension schemes must have in place. The Scheme Administrator (MyCSP) will investigate under Stage 1, and if you remain dissatisfied you can raise your concerns to the Scheme Manager (Cabinet Office), under Stage 2.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

You may contact TPAS at any time during the IDR procedures. TPAS is a voluntary organisation which helps members and beneficiaries of occupational pension schemes with difficulties they may have with the trustees or administrators of their scheme. You can contact TPAS at:

11 Belgrave Road


Pensions Ombudsman

If you have gone through the IDR procedure and your complaint has still not been resolved satisfactorily, you can contact the Pensions Ombudsman. For more information see their website:


You can write to the Pensions Ombudsman at:

10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

Loss of benefits

If you become bankrupt, your pension will be paid in line with relevant legislation.

Pension Tracing Service

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) operates a central tracing agency to help people keep track of any pension arrangements they had in the past.

You can contact ‘The Pensions Tracing Service’ by writing to them at:

The Pension Service 9
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 1LU


Re-employment if you are a pensioner

If you are re-employed by an organisation covered by Civil Service Pensions, after you have taken your classic pension, your pension may be reduced or stopped. This is known as abatement. This is because scheme rules require that your new salary and your pension, when added together, may not normally be more than your salary when you retired.

You should also be aware that you will not be able to rejoin and continue to contribute to your classic pension. You may, however, be eligible to join another scheme.

Scheme amendments

classic was set up under the Superannuation Act 1972. The Scheme Manager (Cabinet Office) may amend the Scheme’s provisions from time to time.

State benefits

The new State Pension was introduced on 6 April 2016, for people reaching State Pension age from that point onwards, replacing the previous two part state pension arrangements – Basic Pension and earnings related *State Second Pension (S2P).

Members of the scheme were contracted out of S2P between 6 April 1978 and 5 April 2016, when contracting out ceased.

Due to the contracted out status between 1978 and 2016, members of the scheme paid lower rates of National Insurance contributions and did not build up entitlement to the S2P element of the previous two part State Pension.

Your new State Pension amount will take into account any period you were contracted out of S2P, plus your National Insurance record between 6 April 2016 and your State Pension age.

* The State Second Pension (S2P) was previously known as the State Earnings-Related Pension (SERPS).

State Pension and tax

To find out more about the State Pension visit: www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service

For information about tax visit:


The Pensions Regulator

This organisation is the statutory regulator for occupational pension schemes. Their task is to make sure that pension schemes operate legally.

They also educate and inform and work with others to raise standards.

For further information including how to contact the Pensions Regulator see their website: www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk

Transferring your rights to benefits (assignment)

You are not allowed to assign any of your benefits. This means you cannot give anyone else the right to your entitlement from the Scheme.

15 December 2021
Last updated:
29 June 2022