76. Where can I get more information about my pension?

We have a range of booklets and leaflets covering all aspects of nuvos which can be found here: Publications

We have a range of booklets and leaflets covering all aspects of the Civil Service pension arrangements and associated benefits, all of which appear on this website.

Alternatively, you can ask the Scheme Administrator (MyCSP) for hard copies.

77. How do I find out more about State pensions?

You can find out more from the government website, including how to claim or enquire about your State Pension, at: www.gov.uk/state-pension

78. What if I have a complaint about my pension?

If you have any concerns you should raise them with the Scheme Administrator (MyCSP). Often, a phone call or an email will be enough. If you are dissatisfied with the way your concerns
have been handled you may decide to complain to the Scheme Administrator (MyCSP).There is further information available here: Contact us

If the problem is not sorted out to your satisfaction, you can raise your concerns under the Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) procedure. This is a statutory process that all occupational pension schemes must have in place. The Scheme Administrator (MyCSP) will investigate under Stage 1, and if you remain dissatisfied you can raise your concerns to the Scheme Manager (Cabinet Office), under Stage 2.

You can contact The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) at any stage during the IDR procedure.

TPAS is an independent organisation set up to help with sorting out disagreements between scheme members and the administrators or trustees of their scheme.

You can write to TPAS at:

11 Belgrave Road,

For further information see their website: www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk

79. What if my complaint is not resolved?

If you have gone through IDR and your complaint has still not been resolved satisfactorily, you can contact the Pensions Ombudsman. For more information see their website: www.pensions-ombudsman.org.uk

You can write to the Pensions Ombudsman at:

10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

80. Are there any other organisations that look after pension schemes?

The Pensions Regulator is the statutory regulator for occupational pension schemes. Their task is to make sure that pension schemes are run legally. They also educate and inform and work with others to raise standards.

For further information including how to contact the Pensions Regulator see their website: www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk

DWP operates a central tracing agency to help people keep track of any pension arrangements they had in the past. You can contact them through the DWP website www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details

Or write to them at:

The Pension Service
9 Mail Handling Site A
WV98 1LU

Tel: 0800 731 0193

Technical terms

Abatement, abated

If you are re-employed by the Civil Service after you have drawn your pension we may reduce or stop paying your pension. This is called abatement.

The Scheme rules require that your new salary and your pension, when added together, may not normally be more than your salary when you retired.

Active member

An active member is a nuvos scheme member who is in employment with a Civil Service employer.

Actuarially reduced

Members aged 55 or over with an entitlement to a nuvos pension can choose to retire early. Benefits are paid immediately but are reduced because they will be paid for longer. The reduction is determined by the scheme actuary.

Added pension

Added pension is an additional amount of pension that you can buy (see questions 30-35).

Annual Allowance

Annual Allowance is the maximum growth in the value of your pension savings each year that can benefit from tax relief. The Annual Allowance applies to your entire pension savings with UK registered pension schemes. So, if you have any other pension savings apart from your Civil Service pension, you must also take those into account to determine if you have a tax charge to pay.

Civil partner

This is someone of the same sex as you, with whom you have registered your relationship under the Civil Partnership Act 2004.


classic is part of the Civil Service pension arrangements; it is a defined benefit occupational pension scheme based on final salary. It was open to civil servants from 1972 to 2002 and is now closed to new entrants. The name classic came into effect in October 2002.


see Public Sector Transfer Club.

Commutation, commute, commuting

This means the exchange of pension for a lump sum.

Contracted out

Members who joined Civil Service Pensions before 6 April 2016 were contracted out of the State Second Pension (previously SERPS). This meant that they and their employer paid a lower rate of National Insurance contributions. Since 6 April 2016, Civil Service Pensions are not contracted out of the State Second Pension.


Civil Service Additional Voluntary Contribution Scheme – is a defined contribution scheme where you pay contributions to the pension provider for investment in a fund or selection of funds. You can then use the accumulated investment fund to provide you with an income and/or lump sum in retirement.


A dependant is a member of your family or anyone else who relies on you financially.

Earnings cap

The earnings cap only applies in nuvos to benefits calculated on a final salary basis. It is the maximum level of pay we will use when working out these pension benefits.


Family means your husband, wife, civil partner or partner and your dependent children.

Final pay

Your final pay is the pay used to calculate the lump sum payable if you die in service.

Final pensionable earnings

Final pensionable earnings are the pensionable earnings used to work out any benefits (such as benefits from a Club transfer) which are worked out on a final salary basis.


His Majesty’s Revenue & Customs

Independent Financial Adviser

An Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) is a qualified person or firm that can give independent advice on matters such as life assurance and pensions. IFAs are regulated by the Financial Services Authority. You can find out more on: www.fca.org.uk

Lifetime Allowance

The Lifetime Allowance, or LTA, is a limit set by HMRC on the total value of all pension benefits (except the State pension) that can be taken without paying additional tax. The value of benefits is assessed at the time that the pension is taken.

The Scheme Administrator (MyCSP)

The Scheme Administrator (MyCSP) is the organisation that holds your pension records and administers your pension on your employer’s behalf, including working out and arranging pension payments.

Partial retirement

The partial retirement rules allow you to draw your nuvos pension whilst you continue to work for your Civil Service pensions employer. You will only be allowed to do this if you have reduced your earnings by at least 20%, for example by moving to part time working.

Highest scheme earnings

Your highest scheme earnings are the pensionable earnings used to work out the maximum pension you can have in nuvos (see question 21).

Partnership pension account

The partnership pension account is a defined contribution pension arrangement. Members of the partnership scheme do not have to contribute but their employer will.

Pension age

Pension age is the earliest age at which you can choose to leave and receive immediate payment of your pension without it being reduced because of early payment. Pension age is normally 65 in nuvos.

Pension Choices

This is the form attached to the introduction letter in your Starter Pack.

Pensionable earnings

Pensionable earnings include all your pay that could count towards your pension. They can also include non-cash items, for example, uniforms or accommodation.

The pensionable earnings that you have earned during a scheme year are used to work out your nuvos pension.


premium is part of the Civil Service pension arrangements; it is a defined benefit occupational pension scheme based on final salary. It was closed to new entrants from July 2007.


preserved pension is pension benefits from an earlier period of service in the Civil Service

pension arrangements that will come into payment at a later date, usually at pension age. If you leave nuvos with more than two years’ service you can leave the pension benefits you have built up in the scheme to be payable at your pension age.

Public Sector Transfer Club or “The Club”

A group of defined benefit occupational pension schemes, mainly within the public sector. The Club assists easier movement of staff between its members by providing broadly equivalent benefits when they transfer.

Scheme Actuary

The Scheme Actuary provides actuarial advice to the scheme. For example working out what pension benefits will cost and what contributions will be needed to pay for them.

Scheme year

is 1 April to 31 March

State Pension Age

State Pension Age is the earliest age you can start receiving your State Pension.

For more information about State Pensions visit:


State Second Pension (S2P)

This is the additional State pension (on top of the basic State pension) that used to be called State Earnings-Related Pension (SERPS). The amount you receive depends on your National Insurance contributions. Please note – this ended on 5 April 2016.

Transfer value

transfer value is the amount paid as a transfer payment when a member takes their benefits from one pension scheme to another.

Trivial commutation

Subject to HMRC limits, a small pension may be commuted (exchanged) for a lump sum payment; this is known as trivial commutation.

7 January 2022
Last updated:
23 September 2022