This section provides contact details for some organisations that you might need during your time as a scheme member.

Who do I contact about my pension?

You should contact the scheme administrator (MyCSP).

Who do I contact about my partnership pension or my CSAVCS?

Contact details for the providers are shown below. Further information is available on their websites:

Legal & General -
Equitable LIfe -

Who do I contact for financial advice?

Your employer and the Scheme Administrator (MyCSP) cannot advise you on what you should and should not do with your pension.

If you wish to seek financial advice you should contact an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) who is registered to advise you on what are the best options for you.

Visit the Financial Conduct Authority website for some tips on how to find an IFA in your area:

Who do I contact for details about my State Pension?

Your State Pension is provided by the Government, and administered by the Department for Work and Pensions.

There is more information about the State Pension on the website:

Who do I contact about my partnership pension or my CSAVCS, including any complaint I may have?

After going through the providers’ internal complaints procedure you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

The Pensions Ombudsman
10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

Telephone: 0800 917 4487

Who do I contact if I cannot find any information about a previous pension?

The Pension Tracing Service provides free help in locating pension providers:

Telephone: 0800 731 0193

Who can I contact for general advice or help?

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) was set up to offer guidance on all types of pensions:

The Pensions Advisory Service
10 Belgrave Road

Telephone: 0800 011 3797

Where can I get more information?

HM Revenue & Customs, for tax information: for information on State benefits and other Government services:

14 December 2021
Last updated:
22 August 2022